Food Rescue Capacity Building Workshop
Tuesday, September 26, 2017 8am-12pm
Hosted by San Diego Food System Alliance in partnership with San Diego Food Bank, Feeding San Diego, and County of San Diego
Educational and capacity-building opportunity for feeding agencies with a specific focus on expanding the rescue of a) prepared foods, b) grocery store products, and c) gleaned produce.
Event Contact: Barbara Hamilton (email@example.com)
- Provide information and capacity building for feeding agencies to expand food rescue efforts
- Facilitate peer learning among feeding agencies
- Further understand needs of food rescue to inform county-wide efforts
Plan for the Day (presentations now available)
- 8:30-9:30am Overview/ Value of Food Donation
- Elly Brown (Welcome.pdf)
- Domingo Vigil (Food Donation Action Plan for the San Diego Region.pdf)
- Tracey Delaney (Environmental Health's Unique Role for Safe, Clear Food Donation.pdf)
- Kyle Pogue (Increasing Edible Food Rescue.pdf)
- Lorenzo Macaluso (Food Rescue in New England.pdf)
- 9:30-10:00am Relationship Management
- Vanessa Moore & Jessica Sprague (Relationship Management, Food Banks.pdf)
- Andre Nantkes (Reltaionship Management, Grocer, Lazy Acres)
- 10:00-10:15am BREAK
- Arnie Garcia (SDGE Residential Energy Savings Update.pdf)
- 10:15-11:30am Expanding Food Rescue
- Prepared Food Rescue: Rescuing prepared food and repurposing
- Retail Rescue: Timely rescue of excess or near-expired retail products
- Stephanie Singleton (Safe food Handling & Donation of Prepackaged Food.pdf)
- Jessica Sprague and Kimberly Castillo (Timely Rescue)
- Gleaned Produce Rescue: Expanding opportunities to rescue local produce
- 11:30-12:00pm Serving the Community
- Jacklin Makhail-Fox (Food Facility Permit Process.pdf)
- Chuck Samuelson (Kitchens For Good, Social Enterprise)
- Elly Brown (Closing)
- 12:00-7:00pm Food Waste Solution Summit 3 (separate registration required)
The Food Rescue Capacity Building Workshop is free for feeding agencies which are existing partners of either Feeding San Diego or San Diego Food Bank. Please limit registration to up to 2 individuals per feeding agency.
Registration includes breakfast.
If you would like to stay for lunch and join the Food Waste Solution Summit 3 afternoon event, please register separately.
Cold Storage Mini-Grant Opportunity! CLOSED
REGISTER & ATTEND THE WORKSHOP FOR A CHANCE TO WIN A REFRIGERATION UNIT FOR YOUR AGENCY!
San Diego Food System Alliance, through generous funding by an anonymous donor of the San Diego Foundation, is offering Mini-Grants to provide cold storage refrigeration units to Five selected food rescue organizations in San Diego County such as food pantries and meal service providers. Each selected organization will receive a two-door glass-front refrigeration unit (example: 50 cubic foot capacity, 32”x50” footprint, such as the Everest Refrigeration Model No. EMGR48 or EBGR2). Download application here for more details. Please bring your applications to the Workshop. You must register and attend the workshop to qualify.
400 Euclid Avenue
San Diego, CA 92114